[PVE-User] basic packages not installed in CentOS 9 container?

Ruud Bleeker rbleeker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 02:07:59 CET 2023

Hi,

I'm new to this mailing list and fairly new to Proxmox and lxc
containers. So far I've experimented with Debian and Ubuntu containers
on Proxmox and that all went as expected, I could easily access them
through ssh using a keypair and manage them remotely or through
Ansible.

As of this week I've started to spin up a few CentOS 9 containers
because I wanted to experiment with some Red Hat related stuff. To my
surprise I was unable to ssh into any of the new containers, which
were created using the default CentOS 9 Stream container template
(centos-9-stream-default_20221109_amd64.tar.xz) as downloaded from the
Proxmox container repository. It appears the package openssh-server is
not installed in this template. I found that the same goes for the
packages that provide the manual pages ("man-pages" and "man-db"). Am
I wrong to expect to find these packages installed by default? IMHO an
ssh server should be installed on all Linux distributions geared
towards server use and remote management, such as CentOS.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
--
Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
  - Floyd Dell