[PVE-User] Question regarding resource pools and assigning not yet used IDs

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 23:17:23 CEST 2023

Hi all,

reading the documentation about user management [1] and especially about resource pools I keep wondering if there is a
way to pre-assign IDs to resource pools so that a group with the necessary permissions can create new VMs within the
pre-assigned ID range.

E.g. I have two groups, let's call them A and B. In order to keep order in the Proxmox cluster, I'd like to give each
group a certain ID range within they can manage (and create) their one VMs, say

A -> IDs 300-349
B -> IDs 350-379

As far as I understand the documentation (and please correct me if I'm wrong) there is no way to do this. What I
understand is that once a VM is created and has an ID assigned some admin with higher privileges needs to assign said VM
to a resource pool so that it than can be managed by the respective group.

If this is correct the concept of resource pools seems to be lacking an important feature to lower the administrative
burden.

The WebUI also shows no way to define such a range. When I browse to datacenter -> resource pool -> mypool and try to
add a VM I can only select existing ones.
(What I also noticed is that you cannot add containers to a pool… though I don't know if that would make sense.)

Thanks,

	Uwe

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveum.html