[pve-devel] ceph hammer : new objetmap features (fast resize, snapshot, ....)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Apr 14 08:44:03 CEST 2015

>>Any idea what the upgrade / migration path from the older firefly release might look like?

I have upgrade my current proxmox cluster (3.4) from firefly->giant->hammer, but firefly->hammer is working too.

It's very simple:

edit
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list

deb http://ceph.com/debian-hammer wheezy main

then on each node:

#apt-get update
#apt-get dist-upgrade

then on each node:

/etc/init.d/ceph restart mon

then on each node:

/etc/init.d/ceph restart osd

(between each restart, check status with #ceph -w)

librbd firefly is working with hammer, but I think for optimal performance, you need to stop/start (or live migrate) vm after librbd update.

>>Does it make sense to tie hammer to a pve version upgrade (say restrict 3.4 to firefly, hammer comes with version 3.5+ / 4.x?) or could firefly be upgraded to hammer on a current pve install?

Well, for proxmox 4.0, I'm not sure it's the good time to force hammer update, as we'll update to jessie + corosync2, that's already a lot of changes.
I'm not sure how to handle ceph update on the same time. (and hammer jessies packages are not yet available)