[pve-devel] ceph hammer : new objetmap features (fast resize, snapshot, ....)

Martin Waschbüsch service at waschbuesch.it
Tue Apr 14 14:36:19 CEST 2015

Alexandre,

> Am 14.04.2015 um 08:44 schrieb Alexandre DERUMIER <aderumier at odiso.com>:
>
>>> Any idea what the upgrade / migration path from the older firefly release might look like?
>
> I have upgrade my current proxmox cluster (3.4) from firefly->giant->hammer, but firefly->hammer is working too.
>
> It's very simple:
>
> edit
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list

> deb http://ceph.com/debian-hammer wheezy main
>

> then on each node:
>
> #apt-get update
> #apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> then on each node:
>
> /etc/init.d/ceph restart mon
>
> then on each node:
>
> /etc/init.d/ceph restart osd
>

> (between each restart, check status with #ceph -w)

Simple indeed. Thanks!

> librbd firefly is working with hammer, but I think for optimal performance, you need to stop/start (or live migrate) vm after librbd update.
>

>>> Does it make sense to tie hammer to a pve version upgrade (say restrict 3.4 to firefly, hammer comes with version 3.5+ / 4.x?) or could firefly be upgraded to hammer on a current pve install?
>
> Well, for proxmox 4.0, I'm not sure it's the good time to force hammer update, as we'll update to jessie + corosync2, that's already a lot of changes.
> I'm not sure how to handle ceph update on the same time. (and hammer jessies packages are not yet available)

Understood. It was my misconception anyway, since you have to specify the ceph version upon using pveceph —install. So apt-get upgrade would not force hammer on anyone automatically. ;-)

While we are at it, the pve-manager package could be updated to allow hammer, though?

(Note: I was unable to clone the pveceph related stuff from https://git.proxmox.com <https://git.proxmox.com/> so I was only able to diff against the versions installed on my system… - pointers welcome!)

The only hints to ceph versions I found were in pveceph manpage and in pveceph itself (where firefly is the current default).
If there is nothing else I have missed, both could then be brought up to date:

diff /usr/share/man/man1/pveceph.1.orig /usr/share/man/man1/pveceph.1
297c297
< \&   \-version   (dumpling | emperor | firefly | giant)
---
> \&   \-version   (dumpling | emperor | firefly | giant | hammer)

and

diff /usr/bin/pveceph.orig /usr/bin/pveceph
90c90
< 		enum => ['dumpling', 'emperor', 'firefly', 'giant'],
---
> 		enum => ['dumpling', 'emperor', 'firefly', 'giant', 'hammer'],

Martin