[PVE-User] Proxmox PBS: Recommended task schedules (Prune, GC, Verifiy)?

Hermann Himmelbauer hermann at qwer.tk
Sat Oct 29 12:25:05 CEST 2022

Dear Proxmox users,
I am currently configuring a PBS server. For the retention, I used the
values from the following page:

https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/maintenance.html

keep-last:3, keep-daily:30, keep-weekly: 8, keep-monthly: 11, keep-yearly:9

This looks like a decent retention scenario. The underlying datastore is
ZFS, approx. 40TB.

The backups to my PBS-Server is done at night, starting at 1:00 from a
PVE-Cluster. The backup itself runs for approx. 5 hours.

Working great, o.k. - now I need to configure the following tasks:

- Prune
- Garbage Collection
- Verfiy

Well, it's now really unclear to me when and how often I should do these
tasks? Do I have to ensure in some way that these tasks don't overlap?

Thinking in non-overlapping terms, I'd do it like this:

- Prune: daily at 6:00
- GC: daily at 11:00
- Verify: daily at 15:00

Or is it better to simply do it like that:

- Prune: hourly
- GC: hourly
- Verfiy: hourly

Any hints?

Best Regards,
Hermann

P.S.: I think it would be a great addition to the manual to put some
recommendations / best practices there.

--
Hermann Himmelbauer
Martinstraße 18/2