[PVE-User] Shared SAN <> ZFS concept

Stefan Radman stefan.radman at me.com
Wed Aug 17 18:51:35 CEST 2022

Hi Tonči

> take advantage of this SAN storage in the "ZFS world”?

Not in the ZFS world but in the Proxmox world.

You can use the SAN storage as shared LVM storage on top of FC or iSCSI.
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage#_storage_types <https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage#_storage_types>
I’ve been using such a setup for years (even with a mix of FC and iSCSI).

For a Proxmox HA cluster you’ll need a third node or quorum device though.

> really like feature zfs-storage-repl which means that VMs can be very quckly ready on another host/cluster (w/o need for backup/restore option)

You won’t get that with the SAN but have a look at Proxmox Backup Server.
The live-restore feature lets you boot from a(ny) backup almost instantly.

Regards

Stefan