[PVE-User] get the most of storage for a very old dell pe 2950.

Kyle Schmitt kyleaschmitt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 17:08:04 CEST 2021

I run on R610s, so about the same generation I think.  I use the
hardware raid for mirrored boot drive only, and NFS over 10G for VM
storage, which is on a seperate system running FreeBSD + ZFS.

But for your case: the general rule for any storage system is don't
mix.  You pick one and only one: hardware raid, software raid, zfs,
ceph, etc.  The exceptions are for systems you almost definitely won't
be using like luster and gluster.

You can still do hotplug with JBOD mode, at least on the dell hardware
I've used.  I have no idea if it's officially supported or not.  I do
know that I sometimes have to use the raid tools to bring in a new
drive when it's NOT in JBOD mode.

In the 6ish years I've run ZFS I've only had one drive fail (pure
luck, not skill), and it was trivial to swap out and replace.

--Kyle