[PVE-User] get the most of storage for a very old dell pe 2950.

Dimitri Alexandris d.alexandris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 22:20:18 CEST 2021

I have an old Dell 1950 with one cpu (2 disks).  Was 1+1G ram, added 16+16
and now have 34G.  Two power supplies.

1-  Never bothered to change SAS controller mode.
2-  SATA disks (up to 2T of course) work perfectly, never used transposers.
3-  First worked with an internal SSD (at internal SATA port, plus an addon
power cable) for OS (always ZFS) + 2 SATA disks (ZFS raid) for data.  3
years, no problems.
4-  Now i bought 2 SAS 1T, with OS on them, and also works fine.
5-  Hot plugging disks is working fine.  I actually increased capacity with
bigger disks without stopping anything this way.  Had 500G SATA before 1T
SAS diks.

I configure the 2 eths in OVS (openvswitch) bond mode, with several VLANS
and internal networks (OVS IntPorts).

In your case, with many SAS disks you will be fine with any configuration,
e.g.:

3+3 x 2T = 6T ZFS raid, OS + data, the fastest combination, or
5+1 ZFS raidz, 10T space, with best capacity, or
4+2 ZFS raidz2, 8T space, also big, and safer.

Do yourself a favour, and buy some decent SAS disks, at 7200rpm are very
cheap.