[PVE-User] Temporary add a node to a cluster...
yannis.milios at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 19:38:56 CEST 2020
Are you trying to convert (P2V) a physical server into a VM and then after
repurpose the same server into a standalone PVE host?
If so, then definitely it won't be quick, especially without some kind of
You could potentially reduce the time needed by following these steps...
- P2V your physical server into a VM at your test PVE cluster.
- Shutdown original server and then start its VM version on your test
cluster. Leave it running there for some days and see if everything
is working properly.
- Repurpose original server into a PVE host but do _not_ add it as a new
cluster member on your test cluster. Just connect it to the same physical
- Start copying the running VM onto this standalone PVE host. You could use
rsync for example or zfs send/recv if you are using ZFS at both sides.
- Once transfer is finished, shutdown the VM on the test cluster and then
immediately do a final rsync or zfs send/receive so that the latest changes
are replicated on the target server.
- Create a new VM on standalone server and attach the VM disk onto it.
- Start the VM on standalone server and delete it from your test cluster.
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 14:00, Marco Gaiarin <gaio at sv.lnf.it> wrote:
> I need to do a P2V 'in place' for a server, and i can use for that a
> 'test cluster' (two HP Microserver) i own.
> But the final result would be two different clusters.
> Also, i don't have too much space or time, so my idea is (as just done
> 1) P2V the server in my test cluster
> 2) reinstall the server with pve, join to the cluster
> 3) migrate the VM to the server.
> 4) 'detach' the cluster, eg, following:
> delete from server my test cluster and delete from test cluster my
> But is this way the server will belong to my 'test cluster', and
> clusters cannot be renamed, right?
> There's some way to 'uncluster' a server?
> dott. Marco Gaiarin GNUPG Key ID:
> Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''
> Polo FVG - Via della Bontà, 7 - 33078 - San Vito al Tagliamento
> marco.gaiarin(at)lanostrafamiglia.it t +39-0434-842711 f
> Dona il 5 PER MILLE a LA NOSTRA FAMIGLIA!
> (cf 00307430132, categoria ONLUS oppure RICERCA SANITARIA)
> pve-user mailing list
> pve-user at lists.proxmox.com
Sent from Gmail Mobile
More information about the pve-user