[PVE-User] Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Tue Jul 14 17:52:41 CEST 2020

Hi,

On 14.07.20 16:30, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> I don't have tested it yet and read the full docs,

The following gives a quick overview:
https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/introduction.html#main-features

> but it is possible to do ceph to ceph backup with ceph snapshots (instead qemu bitmap tracking)?

No. ceph, or other storage snapshots, are not used for backup in PBS.

> Currently in production, we are backuping like that, with incremental snapshot,
>
> we keep X snapshots on ceph backup storage by vm, and production ceph cluster only keep the last snasphot.
>
> The main advantage, is that we are only doing a full backup once, then incremental backups forever.
> (and we have checkum verifications,encryption,...) on ceph backup

Proxmox Backup Server effectively does that too, but independent from the
source storage. We always get the last backup index and only upload the chunks
which changed. For running VMs dirty-bitmap is on to improve this (avoids
reading of unchanged blocks) but it's only an optimization - the backup is
incremental either way.

> We can restore full block volume, but also selected files with mounting the volume with nbd.

There's a block driver for Proxmox Backup Server, so that should work just
the same way.