[PVE-User] Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Tue Jul 14 23:17:16 CEST 2020

>>Proxmox Backup Server effectively does that too, but independent from the
>>source storage. We always get the last backup index and only upload the chunks
>>which changed. For running VMs dirty-bitmap is on to improve this (avoids
>>reading of unchanged blocks) but it's only an optimization - the backup is
>>incremental either way.

What happen if a vm or host crash ? (I think on clean shutdown, the dirty-bitmap is saved, but on failure ?)
does it need to re-read all blocks to find diff ? or make a new full backup ?

Is it possible to read files inside a vm backup, without restoring it first ?
(Don't have check vma format recently, but I think it was not possible because of out of orders blocks)

I really think it could be great to add some storage snapshot feature in the future.
For ceph, the backup speed is really faster because it's done a bigger block than 64K. (I think it's 4MB object).
and also, I really need a lot of space for my backups, and I can't fill them in a single local storage. (don't want to play with multiple datastores)
Bonus, it could also be used for disaster recovery management :)

But that seem really great for now, I known a lot of people that will be happy with PBS :)
Congrats to all proxmox team !