[PVE-User] Multiple bridge on single physical interface

Silvestre Figueroa silvestrefigueroa at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 16:54:23 CEST 2017

Hi Jean!

jean-mathieu.chantrein at univ-angers.fr>:

> Hello.
>
> I try to make this:
>
> (1)
> <physical_interface0>-----<vmbr0>-----<subnetwork1>
> |
> |--------------------<vmbr1>-----<subnetwork2>
>
> But apparently, one physical interface can't have 2 virtual bridge. So I
> try this:
>
> (2)
> <physical_interface0>-----<vmbr0>-----<subnetwork1>
> |
> <virtual_interface_on_physical_interface0>----------
> ----------<vmbr1>-----<subnetwork2>
>
> But my virtual interface is not recognize, because I have to fixe an ip
> address to the virtual interface and I don't want make this trick.
>
> Globally, I want to make this:
>
> |-----<host1>
> | |-----<physical_interface0>-----<vmbr0>-----<subnetwork1>
> | |
> | |--------------------<vmbr1>-----<subnetwork2>
> |
> |-----<host2>
> | |-----<physical_interface0>-----<vmbr0>-----<subnetwork1>
> | |
> | |--------------------<vmbr1>-----<subnetwork2>
> |
> |-----<host...>
>

> VM in subnetwork1(resp.2) on host1 must be communicate with VM in
> subnetwork1(resp.2) on host2 via just one single interface and my host must
> be not reacheable by subnetwork.
>
> How I can make this ?

if i understood correctly, you need to use single ethernet interface as a
trunk.

If you have a L3 switch with vlans support, you can make a bond to eth
interface, then assign the bond to a single vmbr and use this vmbr in all
your vms.

When configuring the VM network, you can specify different vlan tag to
separate the networks at server side.

Then, at Switch side, you must to separate networks (vlans) using untagged
vlan ports.

but this schemma is possible if you have vlans support at Switch.

<hos1>vlan100  ----vmbr1----bond0-------eth1-----\
 /----port_for_vlan100

 +----Switch------X
<host2>vlan200 ----vmbr1----bond0-------eth1-----/
 /----port_for_vlan200

Switch port for server uplink needs to be configured as trunk.

Sorry for my english!

> I tryed to address my virtual_interface or enable proxy_arp on the
> physical interface but without success...
>
> If you have any idea...
>
> Best regards.
>
> Jean-Mathieu

ING. SILVESTRE E. FIGUEROA