[PVE-User] Problems with backup process and NFS

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Fri May 19 11:17:49 CEST 2017

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:43:26AM +0200, Uwe Sauter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after having succeeded to have an almost TCP-based NFS share mounted (see yesterday's thread) I'm now struggling with the backup
> process itself.
>
> Definition of NFS share in /etc/pve/storage.cfg is:
>
> nfs: aurel
> 	export /backup/proxmox-infra
> 	path /mnt/pve/aurel
> 	server <ip of server>
> 	content backup
> 	maxfiles 30
> 	options vers=3
>

> With this definition, <server>:/backup/proxmox-infra is always mounted on /mnt/pve/aurel on every one of my PVE servers.
>

> Definition of backup job is:
>   Nodes: all
>   Storage: aurel
>   Day of week: Mon-Sun
>   Start time: 22:00
>   Selection mode: Include selected VMs
>   Send email to: <my email address>
>   Email notification: always
>   compression: lzo
>   Mode: Snapshot
>   Enable: true
>   VMs: <selection of VMs>
>

> Issue 1:
> Backups failed tonight with "Error: mount error: mount.nfs: /mnt/pve/aurel is busy or already mounted".
>
> Question 1:
> Do NFS shares that should be used for backups need to be "disabled" so that the backup process just mount the share in preparation
> of the backup? If so, there is a problem with the WebUI as I cannot select a disabled storage location when defining or editing a
> backup job.

no. I think your NFS share is (wrongly) detected as unmounted, since
activate_storage in the NFS plugin will try to mount if nfs_is_mounted
returned undef. in general activate_storage is supposed to detect if the
storage is already activated and turn into a no-op if needed, and
calling storage can treat it as idempotent.

what does "grep aurel /proc/mounts" say on this machine?

> Issue 2:
> When the backup process failed no email was sent to the specified address though email notification mode is set to "always".
> Emails in general do work, at least apticron sends update notifications and sending mails from CLI also works.
>
> Question 2a:
> Why was no email sent after the backup process failed?

can you post the complete log?

> Question 2b:
> Does the WebUI use a different method for sending emails? If so where can this be configured?

different from what?