[PVE-User] Proxmox DRBD9 primary/secondary setup?

Yannis Milios yannis.milios at gmail.com
Mon May 15 16:56:08 CEST 2017

> We can see that the vm's get replicated but we have no clue on which nodes
> is primary/secondary.

The resource is in Primary mode on the node where the actual VM is running
on. The rest of replicated resources are(should be) in Secondary mode.
The only time where a resource is in Primary on more than 2 nodes is during
the live migration process. Then, after a successful live migration,  one
of the resources switches back to secondary mode.You can observe this
behaviour in CLI by using drbdadm or drbd-overview commands.

> And if we in the webgui press Edit on drbdstorage under the storage tab
> nothing happens - is this normal?

Yes it's normal. PVE does not support DRBD management over the GUI. You
need to use the usual DRBD cli commands to manage the cluster.

> Have we misunderstood anything during the setup of Proxmox with DRBD9, and
> should we (if we can) downgrade to drbd8, to get a setup like ganeti where
> we know which node contains what.

PVE  dropped support for DRBD9 after the change of the licensing model for
drbdmanage. I think they are going to revert back to drbd8 in the upcoming
version of PVE(5). More info about these topics here:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD9

LINBIT has a dedicated DRBD9 repository for PVE users:

https://docs.linbit.com/doc/users-guide-90/s-proxmox-install/

Yannis