[PVE-User] virtio-9p-pci is not a valid device model name, since yesterday

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon Feb 27 14:20:53 CET 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 10:51:40AM +0100, Arjen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After a apt-get dist-upgrade which updated pve-qemu-kvm from 2.7.1-3 to
> 2.7.1-4, kvm complains when starting VMs that 'virtio-9p-pci' is not a
> valid device model name. It is no longer in the kvm -device help list.
>
> I was using 9p to share a folder with the host:
> # args: -virtfs local,id=i1,path=p1,security_model=none,mount_tag=t1
>
> Is dropping virtio-9p-pci on purpose? Could I have know this change was
> coming? Is there a work-around to keep using it? Have other people
> experienced this also, or am I doing something wrong?

short answer: no, to all of the above ;)

long answer:

the necessary libraries / headers are not explicitly listed in the build
dependencies of the package. the last uploaded version was apparently
built in a more minimal build environment than the previous ones
(without the aforementioned -dev / header packages installed), and thus
did not include VirtFS support.

this change was not intentional - given the fact that we previously
included security fixes for 9pfs/VirtFS in our Qemu packages, I guess we
wanted to include it (as manual option like you are using it), but
forgot to add it to the build-dependencies. since it's a non-standard
use case / feature, this change was not noticed in our internal testing.

I'll check this internally, and if my above assumption is correct,
you'll probably see a rebuilt package with VirtFS support on pvetest in
the next days. Feel free to ping this thread if you see no progress.

if you cannot wait that long, you can either downgrade (but be aware
that the -3 package has a rather severe security bug in the cirrus
graphic adapter code) or compile the -4 package with VirtFS support
yourself[1]. the included makefile should work if you install all the
build dependencies listed in debian/control and the ones for VirtFS:
libattr1-dev and libcap-dev.

1: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu-kvm.git;a=summary