[PVE-User] virtio-9p-pci is not a valid device model name, since yesterday

Arjen arjenvanweelden at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 14:37:51 CET 2017

On Mon, 2017-02-27 at 14:20 +0100, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 10:51:40AM +0100, Arjen wrote:
> > Hi all,
>> > After a apt-get dist-upgrade which updated pve-qemu-kvm from 2.7.1-
> > 2.7.1-4, kvm complains when starting VMs that 'virtio-9p-pci' is
> not a
> > valid device model name. It is no longer in the kvm -device help
> list.
>> > I was using 9p to share a folder with the host:
> > # args: -virtfs
> local,id=i1,path=p1,security_model=none,mount_tag=t1
>> > Is dropping virtio-9p-pci on purpose? Could I have know this change
> was
> > coming? Is there a work-around to keep using it? Have other people
> > experienced this also, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> short answer: no, to all of the above ;)
>
> long answer:
>
> the necessary libraries / headers are not explicitly listed in the
> build
> dependencies of the package. the last uploaded version was apparently
> built in a more minimal build environment than the previous ones
> (without the aforementioned -dev / header packages installed), and
> thus
> did not include VirtFS support.
>
> this change was not intentional - given the fact that we previously
> included security fixes for 9pfs/VirtFS in our Qemu packages, I guess
> we
> wanted to include it (as manual option like you are using it), but
> forgot to add it to the build-dependencies. since it's a non-standard
> use case / feature, this change was not noticed in our internal
> testing.
>
> I'll check this internally, and if my above assumption is correct,
> you'll probably see a rebuilt package with VirtFS support on pvetest
> in
> the next days. Feel free to ping this thread if you see no progress.
>
> if you cannot wait that long, you can either downgrade (but be aware
> that the -3 package has a rather severe security bug in the cirrus
> graphic adapter code) or compile the -4 package with VirtFS support
> yourself[1]. the included makefile should work if you install all the
> build dependencies listed in debian/control and the ones for VirtFS:
> libattr1-dev and libcap-dev.
>
> 1: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu-kvm.git;a=summary

Thank you for your quick and very detailed answer.
I'm happy to hear that it was most likely an accidental omission.

Using NFS, I already worked around it but would like to switch back to
VirtFS. As a home user, I understand that this is not a common use case
for the Proxmox team, and therefore has a (very) low priority.

I will patiently wait for the next update.