[PVE-User] zpool export destroys my pool

Dimitri Alexandris d.alexandris at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 15:24:03 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Fabian Grünbichler <
f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 02:37:49PM +0200, Dimitri Alexandris wrote:
> > I have a 4.4-12 proxmox server, with two additional pools, the main one
> and
> > a second raid (2 disks) pool P2T which was meant to be
> removable/portable.
> > My h/w supports hot swap ok.
> >

> > When i export the pool ( zpool export P2T ), the pools get destroyed
> > instead.  Then of course i cannot import it back!
> >

> > /var/log/daemon.log says:
> >
> > Feb 21 13:43:46 prox2 zed: eid=70 class=
> ​​
> zpool.destroy pool=P2T
> > Feb 21 13:43:46 prox2 zed: eid=71 class=config.sync pool=P2T
> >
> > Am i doing something wrong, or is it a bug?  The pool is empty (luckily),
> > but i have put some files in the 2 existing datasets and the result is
> the
> > same, pool is gone after an export...
>
> PVE does not create or destroy zpools anywhere in the code base[1].

​I do it via console, not GUI.​

> Exporting a pool does not destroy it either - either you have some other

​I know!  This is exactly what puzzles me​.  I 've done dozens of exports -
imports before, replaced broken disks, even with the same h/w, everything
worked as usual.  This is the first time i see this behavior.

> piece of software / script / .. installed that triggered the destroy

​Nothing fancy, simple Proxmox installation.​  See the logged action i
mention, says "
​
zpool.destroy".

> operation, or you (or someone else with access to your host)
> accidentally destroyed the pool instead of exporting it when interacting
> with the "zpool" binary.. I recommend checking other log files and
> shell histories, maybe you can find the origin of the destroy action.

​No such problem!​

> You might be able to recover a recently destroyed pool by importing it
> with "-D" - of course that will only work if you haven't yet overwritten
> the disks/partitons/.. .

​The disks are let alone, and -D does not work,

zpool import -D P2T  >  cannot import 'P2T': no such pool available
​
right after the export.

The disks/partitions are in tact in /dev/disk/...