[PVE-User] zpool export destroys my pool

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Feb 21 14:40:46 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 02:37:49PM +0200, Dimitri Alexandris wrote:
> I have a 4.4-12 proxmox server, with two additional pools, the main one and
> a second raid (2 disks) pool P2T which was meant to be removable/portable.
> My h/w supports hot swap ok.
>

> When i export the pool ( zpool export P2T ), the pools get destroyed
> instead.  Then of course i cannot import it back!
>

> /var/log/daemon.log says:
>
> Feb 21 13:43:46 prox2 zed: eid=70 class=zpool.destroy pool=P2T
> Feb 21 13:43:46 prox2 zed: eid=71 class=config.sync pool=P2T
>
> Am i doing something wrong, or is it a bug?  The pool is empty (luckily),
> but i have put some files in the 2 existing datasets and the result is the
> same, pool is gone after an export...

PVE does not create or destroy zpools anywhere in the code base[1].

Exporting a pool does not destroy it either - either you have some other
piece of software / script / .. installed that triggered the destroy
operation, or you (or someone else with access to your host)
accidentally destroyed the pool instead of exporting it when interacting
with the "zpool" binary.. I recommend checking other log files and
shell histories, maybe you can find the origin of the destroy action.

You might be able to recover a recently destroyed pool by importing it
with "-D" - of course that will only work if you haven't yet overwritten
the disks/partitons/.. .

1: except for the installer of course, and some test suites that are
only run at build time and which use file-backed vdevs