[PVE-User] looking for recommendations of VLAN setup

Alwin Antreich sysadmin-pve at cognitec.com
Sat Feb 4 12:04:07 CET 2017

Hi Uwe,

On 02/02/2017 10:22 AM, Uwe Sauter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to hear recommendations regarding the network setup of a Proxmox cluster. The situation is the following:
>
> * Proxmox hosts have several ethernet links
> * multiple VLANs are used in our datacenter
> * I cannot guarantee that the VLANs are on the same interface for each host (meaning VLAN 1234 could be on eth1 for host A but on
> eth3 for host B, e.g. due to performance reasons)
> * passing through a VLAN trunk to a VM currently doesn't seem to be necessary
>
> My thought was that I would need to create a VLAN interface for each used VLAN (say ethX.1234) and on top of that configure a
> Linux bridge (vmbr1234). This should abstract away the physical network situation from the VMs.
>
> What kind of network setup would you recommend?

We also use multiple VLANs on our network. As linux bridges are
VLAN-aware (bridge-vlan-aware yes), we set the VLAN in the VM config and
leave the interface without any VLAN (ethX), all traffic of the VM is
passing as tagged through the bridge. You only need to make sure that
you have the same bridge configured (vmbrX -> bridge-vlan-aware yes) on
all Proxmox hosts.

Eg:

Node A (eth0 -> vmbr0) - switch port VLAN 4,7,12
Node B (eth3 -> vmbr0) - switch port VLAN 3,4,7
Node C (bond0 -> vmbr0)- switch port VLAN 4,5,6

So all VMs can move between nodes, as the bridge is the same. Traffic
between VMs and devices outside the node will only happen if VLANs are
corresponding.

> One additional question: does Proxmox stop me from migration a VM to a host that doesn't provide VLANs necessary to that
> particular VM? (e.g. a VM needs VLAN 1234 but some of the hosts aren't connected to this VLAN)
>

> Regards,
>
> 	Uwe

Cheers,
Alwin