[PVE-User] looking for recommendations of VLAN setup

Uwe Sauter uwe.sauter.de at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 10:16:32 CET 2017

Hi Alwin,

thanks for your suggestion. Comments below.

Am 04.02.2017 um 12:04 schrieb Alwin Antreich:
[…]

>> What kind of network setup would you recommend?
>
> We also use multiple VLANs on our network. As linux bridges are
> VLAN-aware (bridge-vlan-aware yes), we set the VLAN in the VM config and
> leave the interface without any VLAN (ethX), all traffic of the VM is
> passing as tagged through the bridge. You only need to make sure that
> you have the same bridge configured (vmbrX -> bridge-vlan-aware yes) on
> all Proxmox hosts.
>
> Eg:
>
> Node A (eth0 -> vmbr0) - switch port VLAN 4,7,12
> Node B (eth3 -> vmbr0) - switch port VLAN 3,4,7
> Node C (bond0 -> vmbr0)- switch port VLAN 4,5,6
>
> So all VMs can move between nodes, as the bridge is the same. Traffic
> between VMs and devices outside the node will only happen if VLANs are
> corresponding.

But this setup is exactly what I'd want to avoid. Imagine you have a VM running on Node A that needs VLAN 7. With this kind of
setup Proxmox could migrate the VM to Node B or C in case of failure of node A. But if the VM is put on Node C the VM has no
connectivity to VLAN 7 which is against the concept of HA. What good is a VM when it has no connectivity to the network it
requires for its services?

Regards,

	Uwe