[PVE-User] looking for recommendations of VLAN setup

Thomas Lamprecht t.lamprecht at proxmox.com
Thu Feb 2 12:00:25 CET 2017

Hi,

just answering the additional question, the rest may get better answered
by our community.

On 02/02/2017 10:22 AM, Uwe Sauter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to hear recommendations regarding the network setup of a Proxmox cluster. The situation is the following:
>
> * Proxmox hosts have several ethernet links
> * multiple VLANs are used in our datacenter
> * I cannot guarantee that the VLANs are on the same interface for each host (meaning VLAN 1234 could be on eth1 for host A but on
> eth3 for host B, e.g. due to performance reasons)
> * passing through a VLAN trunk to a VM currently doesn't seem to be necessary
>
> My thought was that I would need to create a VLAN interface for each used VLAN (say ethX.1234) and on top of that configure a
> Linux bridge (vmbr1234). This should abstract away the physical network situation from the VMs.
>
> What kind of network setup would you recommend?
>
> One additional question: does Proxmox stop me from migration a VM to a host that doesn't provide VLANs necessary to that
> particular VM? (e.g. a VM needs VLAN 1234 but some of the hosts aren't connected to this VLAN)

Yes and no, you need the interface you use on Node A available on Node B,
else PVE cannot start the VM after the migration on the target node, as
the interface
does not exists anymore.
So if you create a vmbr1234 and let the VM use it then there needs to be
a vmbr1234
available on each needed migration target node.

But this can be just a "dummy" bridge, then the migration works but the
VM has no network
connection, as expected.

Additional note: When creating the dummy bridge with no physical
interface connect on which
you wantto start a VM with VLAN tag configured you just need to ensure
that the dummy bridge
allowsvlan_filtering ( in /etc/network/interface it would be the
"bridge_vlan_aware yes" option).

cheers,
Thomas