[PVE-User] Problem with RAID 5 in HP Server

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Thu Oct 1 23:29:29 CEST 2015

As long as you have a P400-series RAID controller in the server, you
should be fine.  Make sure you engage HP tech support prior to putting
the old drives in the new server - one wrong keystroke can destroy all
your data.  (And where are your backups?!?)

Having said that, software RAID is substantially more resilient to
*total* hardware failures than hardware RAID - there's no need to match
the specific RAID controller model anymore.  On the other hand, hardware
RAID tends to deal with minor failures (i.e. one dead disk) much more
easily and rapidly and effortlessly.  YMMV.

The new server being not exactly the same shouldn't be a problem for
Linux (unlike Windows...).  If you're doing PCI IO-V, however, it may
matter if you switched processor brands (i.e. AMD vs Intel) as they
require different modules and boot options, but Proxmox should still
boot just without IO-V.  If you're using IO-V or USB pass-through, your
device paths may change with the new hardware.

The RAID configuration is stored on each hard drive as well as in the
controller's NVRAM; I recommend resetting the controller to factory
defaults with *no* RAID configuration at all on the new drives, prior to
inserting the old drives.  Only insert the old drives while the RAID
controller is (cleanly) powered off, not while it's running!  And if at
all possible, again, engage HP support for this kind of disaster
recovery, if you've never tested the procedure before.

-Adam