[PVE-User] Moving thin Provisioned disks to ZFS converts them toFat Disks

Michael Rasmussen mir at miras.org
Fri Aug 21 00:28:25 CEST 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 08:07:08 +1000
Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Quick clarifications - by:the following:
>
> *Have you tried using scsi for controller and virtio-scsi for*
>
> *implementation?*
>
> Did you mean setting "SCSI Controller type" in "Options to VIRTIO and the
> "Bus Type" for the disk to "SCSI"?

Yes.

> Re the results - it made no difference for me, still fat populated.(using a
> test empty disk).

Could it be a result of the chosen filesystem in the client?
What filesystem is used in the client?

> However - did you try this with compression set to "off"? because to me
> from your results it looks like what your seeing is the effects of disk
> compression, not thin provisioning.

It couldn't be compression because when I moved the disk to a raw image
on NFS the actual size of the image was reported by qemu-img info to be
almost the same size as what was reported from zfs get written (11GB
compared tom 12,4GB).

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen