[PVE-User] Moving thin Provisioned disks to ZFS converts them toFat Disks

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:07:08 CEST 2015

On 21 August 2015 at 04:01, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:

> Result from my test is attached this message.
>
> The difference between VM and ZFS is caused by blocks containing data
> which is reported free by the filesystem. It might be different if the
> disk was attached to the VM using virtio-scsi with option discard.

Thanks Micheal, I did a fair bit of testing this morning trying your
suggestions.

Quick clarifications - by:the following:

*Have you tried using scsi for controller and virtio-scsi for*

*implementation?*

Did you mean setting "SCSI Controller type" in "Options to VIRTIO and the
"Bus Type" for the disk to "SCSI"?

Re the results - it made no difference for me, still fat populated.(using a
test empty disk).

However - did you try this with compression set to "off"? because to me
from your results it looks like what your seeing is the effects of disk
compression, not thin provisioning.

--
Lindsay