[PVE-User] Moving thin Provisioned disks to ZFS converts them toFat Disks

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 01:23:40 CEST 2015

On 21 August 2015 at 08:28, Michael Rasmussen <mir at miras.org> wrote:

> Could it be a result of the chosen filesystem in the client?
> What filesystem is used in the client?

NTFS - but I wouldn't have thought that mattered, I don't think the move
interprets the filesystem, its just a byte copy of the disk image.

Actually for my tests it was an uninitialized virtual disk.

> > However - did you try this with compression set to "off"? because to me
> > from your results it looks like what your seeing is the effects of disk
> > compression, not thin provisioning.
> >
> It couldn't be compression because when I moved the disk to a raw image
> on NFS the actual size of the image was reported by qemu-img info to be
> almost the same size as what was reported from zfs get written (11GB
> compared tom 12,4GB).

How do you use qemu-img to check an nfsdisk? they are not visible on the
host filesystem.

Your compression ration is 1.58, which is close to exactly what is needed
to reduce a 20G disk to 12.4G, as reported by your zfs get all.

--
Lindsay