[PVE-User] Ceph is the preferred proxmox shared storage?

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Wed Oct 29 09:06:44 CET 2014

Hi Lindsay,

On 29/10/14 05:43, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:
> Sorry to keep coming back to this :( but we're adding a 3rd node to
> our cluster which brings ceph back into the picture ...
>
> Is there a particular reason that ceph is preferred to glusterfs?
> better performance? more fault tolerant?
I haven't deployed glusterfs myself. I think you can put
CTs/ISOs/backups on glusterfs but not in ceph-rbd (maybe yes on cephfs).
Otherwise I think using ceph-rbd could be better for performance,
because you don't have an intermediate filesystem.
> Also - my third proxmox node is just a lightweight intel nuc for
> quorum - it won't be running VM's or contributing storage. Does the
> following setup make sense?
>
> Node1: OSD1 + Monitor
>
> Node2: OSD3 + Monitor
>
> Node1: Monitor Only
>
> Node1 & Node2 are connected via Dual Bonded 1GB Ethernet
>
> Node3 Only has 1GB Ethernet

I think it does. As suggestions, using ssd for journal could improve
performance on normal use and also when rebalancing/reconstructing. You
can use the nuc for additional backup/iso storage also if it has room
for a 2.5" drive.

Cheers
Eneko

--