[PVE-User] Backups to external USB Drives

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 00:45:51 CET 2013

We backup our XenServer production server images to a removeable usb
disks overnight, that are rotated daily and stored offsite.

With ProxMox I'm thinking of the following:

- On ProxMox server ensure the same mount point for the drives is used
via suitable udev rules

- Make it available as local storage, or maybe as a NFS share

- Schedule overnight image backups of nominated VM's on that Node to
the USB SR via the proxmox web ui.

- Swap the drives as normal each day, subject to the backup being successful.

Does that same reasonable? any gotchas with using USB drives that way?
We will also be separately backing up up the VM data via normal
windows backups. The image backup is for disaster recovery.

Another question - if I have a cluster setup with two nodes (Node1,
Node2), can Node1 backup a VM running on node2 onto local storage on
Node1?

thanks,

--
Lindsay