[PVE-User] Motherboard chipset and onboard NIC support (Supermicro X9SCM-F and X10SLL-F)

Thinker Rix thinkerix at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 7 17:38:15 CET 2013

Hello all!

we will switch our servers to Proxmox soon and for that want to buy a
new server.
As far as I have learned until now, Proxmox is based on Debian Squeeze
64bit, but comes with a patched RHEL 6.4-kernel.
What I want to learn now, is what motherboard I need to buy so to be
compatible with Proxmox.

I am interested in 2 different solutions:

A) Intel Socket 1155, Chipset C204
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-F
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C202_C204/X9SCM-F.cfm)
CPU: Pentium, 3rd generation Core i3 or Xeon E3-1200 v2
Onboard NICs: Intel® 82579LM and 82574L
Supermicro's compatibility list proclaims compatibility for Red Hat EL
64 bit: 6 and 6.1 (http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C204.cfm)

B) Intel Socket 1150, Chipset C222
Motherboard: X10SLL-F
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SLL-F.cfm)
CPU: Pentium, 4th generation Core i3 or Xeon E3-1200 v3
Onboard NICs: Intel® i217LM & 1x Intel® i210AT
Supermicro's compatibility list proclaims compatibility for Red Hat EL
64 bit: 5.7, 5.8, 6.2, and 6.3
(http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/OS/C222.cfm)

Questions:
1. Is it correct that I can use even brand new CPUs/Chipsets on Linux -
even when it has not been officially supported by the kernel yet - due
to general i386-64bit backward-compatibility; only new cutting-edge CPU
features might not be supported, but the system should be running fine.
Is that true?

2. How about the NICs of both solutions, are they supported by the
kernels found in Proxmox 3.1?
As for solution "B", I have found this in the forum concerning exactly
this motherbard:
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/15776-Initial-setup-web-interface-not-accessible-possible-network-config-issue.
Obviously, the onboard NICs where not supported by that time. But since
then, a new release (3.1) of proxmox has been released. Does anybody
know if those NICs are supported by now? And how about the NICs in
solution "A"?

Thank you for any advice!

Regards
Thinker Rix