[PVE-User] Proxmox NFS issue

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 18:50:28 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM, Gilles Mocellin <
gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org> wrote:

> Le 06/11/2013 16:05, Muhammad Yousuf Khan a écrit :
>
>  i am facing slow read and write on our new NAS.
>>
> [...]
>
>  when i am inside the VM and trying to copy "to" network or "from" network
>> i see very slow traffic. specifically talking about inside VM.
>>

> Why do you think you have a problem with your storage ? You're doing
> network.
>
>  sorry for the misunderstanding, what i meant is that the VM hosted on NFS
is having problem, on the other hand the stats that i have showed with
command "rsync" was the proof of concept that the file transfer b/w Proxmox
and Storage is doing fine. but the problem part is inside VM. which is
Windows 2003 server.

Here you're showing that you don't have a problem with your storage.
> To be really sure, can you do local disk I/O test inside your VM ?

i will share the diagram of results.

> When you test network traffic in your VM, from or to network as you say,
> What are you exactly doing ?
> Do you transfer with your NAS or with another machine ?

the connectivity is like this. i have 3 servers all in 1 broadcast domain
(Samba storage server, Proxmox Server and OmniOS server). all can ping each
other. means OmniOS server is not behind the Proxmox they all are in same
network.

i have a 700MB ISO image which i demonstrated in the graphics that was
attached to my last email. i copied that 700MB file to that Samba box and
then i copied that same file from Samba box back to VM and use windows
share/SMB for copy and pasting the file.

> I hope you use virtio drivers, for storage and for network, inside your VM
> ?

NOPE! i am not using virtio neither disk nor in Ethernet. is it important
to use virtio when using storage box? because i have never used External
boxesbefore i only used local storage with RAID1 (mdadm) and used same old
RAW and QCOW images. and they were perfectly fine for me.

Please advice.