[PVE-User] Proxmox NFS issue

Gilles Mocellin gilles.mocellin at nuagelibre.org
Wed Nov 6 19:26:12 CET 2013

Le 06/11/2013 18:50, Muhammad Yousuf Khan a écrit :
[...]
>     I hope you use virtio drivers, for storage and for network, inside
>     your VM ?
>

> NOPE! i am not using virtio neither disk nor in Ethernet. is it
> important to use virtio when using storage box? because i have never
> used External boxesbefore i only used local storage with RAID1 (mdadm)
> and used same old RAW and QCOW images. and they were perfectly fine
> for me.

It's not because you use an external storage, but différences can be
more visible, because external storage is often slower than local
storage, at least for latency.

> Please advice.

I always try to use virtio drivers, as in theory, they must be better,
lower latency and better throughput.
But you must test, it can depend on the version and your OS.

After testing local disk I/O in your VM, to test Windows driver/KVM/NFS
storage, you could test network without disk I/O, using iperf between
your VM and your samba box.
I think you can find iperf for Windows. Here for example :
http://linhost.info/2010/02/iperf-on-windows/