[PVE-User] Unreliable

Alexandre DERUMIER aderumier at odiso.com
Wed Mar 13 04:18:18 CET 2013

Hi Fabio,

>What is the intel model card ? do you use mtu 9000 ?
>>
>>Not yet, doing now .
>>I did not saw that in any documentation, why ?

Because it's more or less a best pratice when you use a san.
Be carefull you need to setup mtu 9000 everiwhere, proxmox san nic, switchs ports, freenas nic

also can you post your /etc/network/interfaces ?

I think you also need to tuned you tcp windows size

edit /etc/sysctl.conf

"# maximum receive socket buffer size, default 131071
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
# maximum send socket buffer size, default 131071
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216

# default receive socket buffer size, default 65535
net.core.rmem_default = 524287
# default send socket buffer size, default 65535
net.core.wmem_default = 524287

# maximum amount of option memory buffers, default 10240
net.core.optmem_max = 524287
# number of unprocessed input packets before kernel starts dropping them, default 300
net.core.netdev_max_backlog = 300000

net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 524287 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 524287 16777216

net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 0
net.ipv4.tcp_no_metrics_save = 1
net.ipv4.tcp_moderate_rcvbuf = 1
"

then reboot your node

for NFS:

try nfsv4 if you can, performance is better for me.

options rw,noatime,nodiratime,noacl,vers=4,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600

>>This time all VMs crashed, and the pve daemon CAN be restarted ...
>>
>>If I ping to Storage from any of 5 nodes, it responds .
>>
>>In another ordinary linux box I connected in the same 10 GB switcher for test, all 2 nfs volumes can be mounted and I can copy anything to and from it .
>>
>>So Storage did not stop to working !!!!
>>
>>I will try the Debian kernel from Backports, it is 3.2.x ...

If all yours 5 nodes have the same problem at the same moment,
Clearly something is wrong on your storage side (also,it's not a multicast problem).

If vms are crashed, it's because they can't read/write to storage.
If pvedaemon hang, it's because it's try to read from your storage stats.

both running vms and pvedaemon are independants.

how do you mount (options?) your ordinary linux box ?

>>My original question, IT IS POSSIBLE to install Proxmox 1.9 under Squeeze ?!?
Never try it, maybe, try to install the debs package for repository. But maybe some dependencies will not work.