[PVE-User] How do you monitor your server performance and peaks?

Timh B timh at shiwebs.net
Thu Jan 26 16:25:46 CET 2012

Hi,
Sorry for a late reply, but I've been away and just now started to catch up.

The absolutely easiest way to monitor host performance over time is with
munin, on the clients simply run "apt-get install munin-node", edit the
allowed hosts in /etc/munin/munin-node.conf. For the "collector" server
run "apt-get install munin" and create a file under
/etc/munin/munin-conf.d/(myservers.conf) and add (example);

[virt02.tc-sth.mydomain.net]
        address 10.1.2.152
        use_node_name yes

and restart the node. The resulting html-files will be output to
/var/cache/munin/www and you can run whichever webserver you want. This
way you don't need to meddle with snmp or cacti or zenoss or any of the
other heavyweight monitoring solutions that is more intended for network
monitoring than servermonitoring.

Info; http://munin-monitoring.org/
Demo; http://munin.ping.uio.no/

BR,