[PVE-User] How do you monitor your server performance and peaks?

Rob wylde wylde780 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 05:36:47 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> So, I barely check the Proxmox GUI during day or peak hours for load
> performance. Frankly, I can't be around to do that and Proxmox has been
> such a good stable product that I don't have to worry about it at all and
> that scares me a bit. As my Quad Core server is filling up with all these
> VMs and QMs, I would like to know if you guys use any tools that shows
> history of performance over past days and weeks. I think it's vital to know
> the peaks and performance of CPU, RAM, and I/O over time in order to budget
> for right amount of hardware and to avoid future issues.
>
> Any feedback is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks

> Bruce

I've always used snmpd on all the nodes which report to a VM that has cacti
running to provide my graphing and historical data. Then I have a zenoss VM
to monitor the VM's running on all those nodes.

On the node's
apt-get install snmpd
edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf to your liking
start up snmpd

Then for zenoss you can just scan your network and it will find the hosts.
Cacti does have discovery capabilities with plugins however not nearly as
easy to use

http://community.zenoss.org/index.jspa
http://www.cacti.net/
or