[PVE-User] Will Proxmox-ve adopt next Debian release : Squeeze

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Wed Dec 2 11:35:13 CET 2009

Hi,

Proxmox VE is based on Debian Stable and some custom adoptions, mainly our own Kernel with a lot of backports and patches optimized for the usage scenario.

As soon as Squeeze is stable we will move to Squeeze - based on  my knowledge this will happen mid of 2010 (the earliest, but a schedule is never fixed in the Debian world).

> Concerning openvz, I read that the main developpers are working on the
> kernel versions released by Red Hat Linux Entreprise. So it is now
> 2.6.18 (RHEL 5.4 backported KVM in this kernel).
> But I read that the new 6.0 version will only come in third quarter of
> 2011 !
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

I assume Redhat does still not know when the can release 6.0 - but this does influence Proxmox VE.

> I don't know if really Red Hat will wait until this time, but people
> think it takes 20 months after the freeze...
>
> So, would we have to wait until the end of 2011 to have a newer kernel
> in Proxmox-ve, which would be older that the current one in Debian ?

No. As soon as there are news on containers we will move to a newer kernel. I assume this will happen in 2010.

Br, Martin