[PVE-User] Will Proxmox-ve adopt next Debian release : Squeeze

Alain Péan alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr
Wed Dec 2 09:54:26 CET 2009

Dear all,

I read the previous mails on the list, and understand the reluctance of
Poxmox-ve to support two branches, one with only KVM and another with
openvz/KVM but older kernel. I know that it implies more developpers,
more servers to test and so on...

But I have questions.
- Debian has adopted a new, time based, release schedule. Each odd years
in December, a version will be freezed, and the new version released in
the spring of even years. So the next Debian release, Squeeze, will be
freezed on December 2009, and released next spring, 2010. It should be
based on Kernel 2.6.32.
http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090729

Will Proxmox-ve adopt this release and kernel ?

Concerning openvz, I read that the main developpers are working on the
kernel versions released by Red Hat Linux Entreprise. So it is now
2.6.18 (RHEL 5.4 backported KVM in this kernel).
But I read that the new 6.0 version will only come in third quarter of
2011 !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

I don't know if really Red Hat will wait until this time, but people
think it takes 20 months after the freeze...

So, would we have to wait until the end of 2011 to have a newer kernel
in Proxmox-ve, which would be older that the current one in Debian ?

Thanks to share your thoughts.

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33