[PVE-User] PVE on 32bit?

Martin Maurer martin at proxmox.com
Mon May 12 08:47:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

[Martin Maurer]
No.

> Currently, on the others 6 server that i couldn't migrate to VPE server
> is because it was 32bit. I'm running CentOS 5 32bit with OpenVZ
> container on it with about 3-5 CentOS 4 32bit container running LAMP on
> it.

[Martin Maurer]
So just move this 3-5 32-bit container to Proxmox VE, what is the problem here?
You can run 32-bit containers without problems.

Maybe your existing hardware is not 64 bit capable? Ok, then I see the problem.

> If there are Proxmox VE based on 32 bit Debian, i could replace the HN
> ( currently 32 bit CentOS 5 ) with PVE ( Webbase Virtualizations
> Management is too cool to resist :) ).
>

> >> One more request if possible, it's there any plan to support OpenVZ
> >> container configuration with PVE web? this is really usefully when
> >> you need to fine tune the allocations of resource for the container
> >> instead of fiddling with config file in CLI.
> >
> > [Martin Maurer]
> > Yes, this is a basic features.
> >
> > If you moved an existing OpenVZ container to Proxmox VE, please see
> > this:
> > http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE
> >
> > you need to add this line in your config file (on the console):
> >
> > ORIGIN_SAMPLE="pve.auto"
> >

> Hmm, maybe i still don't really understand what is running under the
> hood when i setting the ORIGIN_SAMPLE="pve.auto". Can you explain what
> it really did to the containner when i'm setting this?

[Martin Maurer]
As you know the resource settings are not so easy to understand, especially for beginners with OpenVZ. Therefore we decided to set most parameters automatically, based on your hardware. Additionally, we solved the issues when you run OpenVZ AND KVM virtual machines together on the same host, so PVE management also brings OpenVZ resource Management to KVM, i.e. you can limit CPU resources for KVM in an OpenVZ compatible way. So both systems can run parallel. (On all existing systems I know KVM can eat up all resources, which in effect disable reasonable resource control).

This is possible when you set ORIGIN_SAMPLE="pve.auto" to your existing config after you moved your container to Proxmox VE. you can test this, just add this and then change memory or disk space on the web interface - after you clicked save, the config file is updated. Now compare the new one with the old one and you will see what we did.

> > After you did this, everything is working on the web interface.
> > Which resource allocation setting do you miss on the web interface?
> >

> I wish it all automatically set but if i'm wrong, i would like to have
> the ability to manually tune the setting like :
>
> Memory / Swap Management :
> 1. PRIVVMPAGES
> 2. VMGUARDPAGES
> 3. OOMGUARDPAGES
>
> CPU Core and QoS management :
> 1. CPULIMIT
> 2. CPUUNIT

[Martin Maurer]
All these settings are set automatically in order do not conflict with other virtual machines on Proxmox VE, see above - but you can overwrite them if needed but not recommended.

> ( maybe with number of failcount like in UBC? ).

[Martin Maurer]
We try to bring a UBC monitoring to the web interface to see what´s going on.

> Most of the time, all these setting is always bug me and need me to pay
> special attention to it ( Read : Zimbra Server on OpenVZ containner
> :)).

[Martin Maurer]
Did you see my posting here about installing Zimbra?
http://www.zimbra.com/forums/installation/17683-running-zimbra-proxmox-virtualization-environment-based-openvz.html
see attached a screenshot of my Zimbra installation (on Debian etch 32).

Do you run Zimbra on OpenVZ/Proxmox VE? I am thinking of building a virtual appliance with Zimbra, personally I think Zimbra is one of the best Linux based Groupware systems.
Br, Martin