[PVE-User] 0.9beta2 minor problems

Pongracz Istvan pongracz.istvan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:02:27 CEST 2008

2008. 07. 23, szerda keltezéssel 08.48-kor Csillag Tamas ezt írta:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 01:04:47PM +0200, Martin Maurer wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > We just released Proxmox VE 0.9beta2, we encourage everybody to
> > update to the new version.
>
> I am using PVE on a debian server, installed with the debian installer
> not with Proxmox's install media. I added Proxmox's apt repos right
> after the install. Here I report a few problems I came accross.
>
> I always prefered grub on debian. All debian packages depends on lilo
> or grub. PVE only depends on lilo.
>
> pve-kernel-2.6.24 has vmlinux-2.6.24 instead of vmlinuz-2.6.24 (I used
> dpkg-divert --divert /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24
> --rename /boot/vmlinux-2.6.24
> here for help). update-grub will not pick up the new kernel if it
> installs the kernel with the wrong name.
>
> Apache does not listen on 443 by default I had to add this for the web
> console to work.
> If I install pve-manager apache2-mpm-worker is installed by default
> but apache2-mpm-prefork is needed to work properly with
> apache2-mpm-worker I got weird errors.
>
> Regards,
>   cstamas

Hi Tamás,

Some thoughts about your experiences, using the mainstream of debian.

I think, the basic concept is, if somebody would like to use PVE, one
should use the PVE install media instead of debian (etch or whatever, I
do not know).

Normally (and recommended) to do not use any other application on the
PVE server than the provided services.
Any other things must run inside containers/kvm.

This is also recommended for openvz itself, even I use my desktop to
play around with openvz, but this is only for testing and not for
production.

I recommend to use the PVE install media or make your own workaround
documents for problems you described.

Anyway, as I can see, you already solved all the "problems", right? :)

Rest regards,
István

PS: Ha gondolod, konzultálhatunk magyarul is :)
--
BSA. Mert megérdemlitek.
Open Source. Mert megérdemlem.