[pve-devel] Building proxmox on riscv64 Debian Sid

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Tue Feb 21 12:19:39 CET 2023

> Tianyu Chen via pve-devel <pve-devel at lists.proxmox.com> hat am 21.02.2023 07:29 CET geschrieben:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to build proxmox on riscv64 Debian Sid, and I'm having some
> questions when building.

out of interest - when you say "proxmox", you mean Proxmox VE? on what hardware and for what use case are you trying to port it?

> 1. When I'm building proxmox-rs, the dependencies are incorrect. I
> fetched proxmox-rs source code from
> https://github.com/proxmox/proxmox-rs.git and it shows that most
> dependencies are targeting bullseye, not Sid. I've tried editing
> Cargo.toml and some of them worked. Is there a actively developing
> branch targeting Sid? Or is there a schedule against testing(bookworm)
> so I can schedule the porting?

1. our git repositories are hosted on git.proxmox.com (the Github org is just an unofficial mirror)
2. our repos target bullseye
3. as always, when a new Debian stable release is approaching we will also target that for our new stable release(s), and once we are done, publish the resulting repositories

unless you have very little time left to wait before proceeding, you will likely have considerable less work (other than rebuilding packages for riscv64) if you wait for our bookworm-targeting branches/repos to become available.

the corresponding repository is at https://git.proxmox.com/?p=debcargo-conf.git;a=summary (it's a fork of the Debian rust team's debcargo-conf repository with some additional crates and lots of backports for bullseye)

> 3. Also proxmox-rs, can I build subprojects by built-dependency order
> since I don't have them in my pool?

in the proxmox workspace you can build them in the order required by their individual build dependencies

> 4. proxmox-apt. The package proxmox-apt shows that DebianCodename only
> support stable versions, not Sid. test_get_current_release_codename
> failed since codename != DebianCodename::Bullseye. I'm wondering where
> are these piece of code used? Is there any unexpected behavior with Sid?

it's used for repository configuration and update querying (e.g., by pve-manager via proxmox-perl-rs).