[pve-devel] Building proxmox on riscv64 Debian Sid

Tianyu Chen billchenchina2001 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 13:53:48 CET 2023

On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 12:14:04PM +0100, Wolfgang Bumiller wrote:
> (Personally, I do intend to give a fully bootstrapped PVE a spin on a
> vision five 2 at some point, but can't commit to any timeline there
> atm., but it'll have to be bookworm, not bullseye, and as you already
> figured out, getting there is a bit more involved now with the rust
> crate version dependencies ;-))

> The rust crate situation is a *little* bit annoying due the version
> differences. Some, like zstd, require tiny modifications (unfortunately
> in a way that supporting both versions in the same code base would
> require an annoying build script :-S). Some just work because we don't
> use the affected APIs.
> I don't think there are any *major* changes required, but I'm not sure.
> @Fabian did some initial/test-bootstrapping for bookworm and might
> remember more?
>
> But for now there's unfortunately nothing targeting anything past
> bullseye in the repos as it would just require merging/rebasing without
> there being an actual release for it yet.

Thanks for the info. I've built proxmox-rs and most API are not
affected. There only exist very little differences that should be
manually manipulated.

btw, since bookworm has just soft freeze, is there currently any on-going
development? And, when will the development tree avaliable?

> You can find a `debcargo-conf.git` with a `proxmox/bullseye` branch on
> git.proxmox.com which is the source of all the librust- packages we
> packaged separately.

Got it, thanks!

> You can build from that, or, since they're actually source-only
> packages, you could fixup the architecture on the deb files from our
> bullseye repo directly (dpkg-deb --extract, sed, dpkg-deb --build) and
> use it that way ;-)

Haha dpkg-deb --extract is a nice trick! I've done it before for some
packages. debcargo use `Architecture: any` for librust-*-dev files but I
believe they could be installed for `all`.

> There's no automatic ordering in the build system right now.

Gotcha.

Best regards,
Tianyu Chen