[pve-devel] [RFC pve-kernel-meta 0/5] unify boot-mode config

Stoiko Ivanov s.ivanov at proxmox.com
Tue Feb 1 23:03:26 CET 2022

This patchset is based on top of the pin/unpin/next-boot series (in it's v1)

It contains changes I would consider breaking (in the sense that as a user I
would expect to read about them in some Upgrade-notes, e.g. for a minor
release)

The changes should make it possible to boot a system irrespective of the
current boot-mode (UEFI/legacy) in the bios. Users should be able to change
their boot-mode in the bios, and the system should come up cleanly (and with
the same kernel-version as with the other boot-mode)

(currently changing boot-modes with p-b-t requrires booting from a live-CD)

patch 3 drops systemd-boot and uses grub for both boot-modes, hopefully
unifying the boot-experience and causing less confusion (currently I suggest
to look at the screen while booting to find out which boot-loader is used)

(Sadly systemd-boot (which I would prefer, justifiably)
won't get support for legacy boot)

* patch 1/5 renames a config-file (forgotten during the
  pve-efiboot->proxmox-boot rename)
* sending as RFC - since it's really just and idea (and I'm not sure it
  won't cause even more confusion/breakage in practice)
* very roughly tested on 2 VMs (manually reformatting the ESP to clean out
  systemd-boot) - both booted fine when changing their BIOS mode

as is it's definitely missing:
* a plan for transitioning current systems
* cleanup of the code (the changes are minimal for a POC)
* updated documentation
* quite a bit more testing (especially on real hardware)

Stoiko Ivanov (5):
  rename pve-efiboot-manual-kernels to proxmox-boot-manual-kernels
  proxmox-boot: add reinit subcommand
  proxmox-boot: keep EFI and legacy bootloaders in sync
  proxmox-boot: use grub for UEFI boot
  proxmox-boot: install grub in esp/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

 bin/grub-install-wrapper          | 19 +-------
 bin/proxmox-boot-tool             | 68 +++++++++++++++++++---------
 debian/pve-kernel-helper.postinst |  4 ++
 proxmox-boot/functions            |  2 +-
 proxmox-boot/zz-proxmox-boot      | 73 +++++--------------------------

2.30.2