[pve-devel] VM Incremental backup for 3-party solution (Qemu)

Radosław Korzeniewski radoslaw at korzeniewski.net
Thu Aug 19 15:21:14 CEST 2021

Hello,

I'm working on implementing VM incremental backup for a 3-party solution
based on Qemu dirty bitmap which is available in Proxmox. Unfortunately I'm
unable to make it working, so I decided to ask for some help.
First I'm adding a dirty bitmap using the `block-dirty-bitmap-add` command
and making a full backup with `drive-backup` command.
Both are executed in transactions. The bitmap is successfully added.
But the external backup file is populated with ~193K of data and hung.
The backup job is added and QMP returns 3 events:
`"status": "created"`, `"status": "running"`, `"status": "paused"`.
I'm not sure why.
As finally the job is "paused", I try to resume it with `block-job-resume`
command
the `query-block-jobs` returns `"status": "paused"` i `"paused": true`.
All I can do is to cancel the job with the `block-job-cancel` command.
No commands return any error.

Do you have any idea why the job fell into a paused state and how I
should proceed?
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw at korzeniewski.net