[pve-devel] Gitlab-ci

Fabian Grünbichler f.gruenbichler at proxmox.com
Mon Sep 2 14:33:18 CEST 2019

On August 27, 2019 11:24 am, Alexandre DERUMIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think 1 benefit of gitlab,github,... is the tracking of merge request.

IMHO this is a big downside of Github and Gitlab - cleanly checking out
an older iteration of a PR/MR is very cumbersome (and wasn't even really
possible for the longest time). The review comments reference (and even
link to!) code that is no longer available directly, and it gets
confusing quickly. The only thing that's really nice is the direct
integration into various CI tools, also for in-progress change requests.

with mail, v1 and v2 are simply two mail threads, including any review
comments. this is much simpler to keep around, checking the archive,
etc.

> (To not lost some patches series send months ago).
>
> For code review it great too. (make comments directly in the merge)

see above. I hate the review interface with a passion :-P see [1] for
example - some inline comments are included in the discussion, but the
full review with all comments is 404[2], even though it is linked from
[1].

I am also following sourcehut's progress - it might be able to bridge
the gap between both worlds (plain email + nice looking web interface).

> I'm curious, do you use some kind of email scripts, special email client, to manage current workflow ?
> (Sometime I'm lost myself with my patches ;)

most of the actively reviewing people use either (neo)mutt or some
variant of notmuch, but there are some not-yet converted thunderbird
users as well ;)

1: https://github.com/corosync/corosync/pull/450
2: https://github.com/corosync/corosync/pull/450/files/68e7b4cbe3a4687bb6168500d3275d5969b9b9c0