[PVE-User] can't lock file '/var/lock/qemu-server/lock-XXX.conf' - got timeout

Andrei Boros andrei at srr.ro
Tue Feb 6 13:05:13 CET 2024

Hi,

I am encountering problems stopping VMs. It happens intermittently.

I have a Ubuntu-22.04 server edition. Not yet installed qemu agent inside.
I have a generic Linux VM in which I want to use G4L to import disk image.
I have a Win10 for testing, with qemu-agent and drivers.

All these machines can't be stopped or reset.
I am talking about HARD STOP or HARD RESET.

>From the top menu, shutdown dropdown -> Stop. It says command stop
successful. Nothing happens.
>From noVNC console, power -> hard stop. It says command stop successful.
Nothing happens.
>From node shell: qm stop XXX
fails showing: can't lock file '/var/lock/qemu-server/lock-XXX.conf' -
got timeout

The Win10 machine shuts down gracefully only when a user is logged in.
If requesting shutdown at login screen, nothing happens. And the stop
command fails as well.

And after all this, 10-15 minutes later, it magically works!

Is it a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

--

*ing. Andrei Boros*

Serviciul IT&C