[PVE-User] vGPU scheduling

Dominik Csapak d.csapak at proxmox.com
Thu May 25 09:24:56 CEST 2023

On 5/24/23 18:31, Stephan Leemburg via pve-user wrote:

> Hi @Proxmox,

Hi,

> I have another question about - specific - NVIDIA vGPU usage and licensing.
>
> Currently, the following hypervisors are supported for running vGPU in combination with NLS/DLS
> NVIDIA licensing servers:
>
>   * Citrix Hypervisor 8.2
>   * Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) hypervisors with QEMU

technically we'd fall under this category i guess, but even there is a compatibility list
we're not on

>     2.12.0 (qemu-kvm-2.12.0-64.el8.2.27782638)
>   * Microsoft Windows Server with Hyper-V 2019 Datacenter edition
>   * Red Hat Enterprise Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) 9.0 and 9.1
>   * Red Hat Virtualization 4.3
>   * Ubuntu Hypervisor 22.04
>   * VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) 7.0.1, 7.0.2, and 7.0.3
>
> Is there any effort planned or on the way to have Proxmox added to the above list?

We'd generally like to be on the supported hypervisor list, but currently
none of our efforts to contact NVIDIA regarding this were successful,
but i hope we can solve this sometime in the future...

> As Ubuntu 22.04 is in it and the Proxmox kernel is derived from it, the technical effort may not be
> so large.

Yes, their current Linux KVM package (15.2) should work with our 5.15 kernel,
it's what i use here locally to test, e.g. [0]

Note that they don't support our newer 6.2 kernels yet.

> Being supported may open ways to new and interesting installations of Proxmox.

I also think so, but we'll see how that goes.

> Thanks and best regards,
>
> Stephan

Kind Regards
Dominik