[PVE-User] USB Expansion Card for PCIE Hub passthrough?

Arjen leesteken+proxmox at pm.me
Thu Aug 31 07:40:39 CEST 2023

On Thursday, August 31st, 2023 at 02:10, Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking to purchase a USB expansion card to passthrough entire to my
> Windows 11 VM, hoping it will help with USB audio issues and improve
> occasional mouse/keyboard weirdness. Already have an NVidia Card
> passthrough working fine.

Some GPUs have USB and often you can passthrough an internal USB controller that
is provided by the CPU. Those usually work with passthrough.

> Will any generic USB Card do or should I be looking for particular
> brands/chipsets?

Please search the internet/forums for a USB controller that is known to work with passthrough.
Many cheap devices use a USB-chip that does not reset properly.  Sometimes manufacturers change
the chip without warning for a cheaper one. Level1techs forum might help:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/jacks-hardware-the-ultimate-vfio-usb-3-0-controller/135926

> Currently looking at a Orico 7 Port USB 3.0 PCIe Dual Chip Card.

Sorry, but I have no experience with that one. Check what chip it uses internally.

Best of luck on your hunt for the right USB controller.