[PVE-User] Import OVA, exported from RHV

Timo Veith timo.veith at uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Aug 24 13:34:22 CEST 2023

Helo everyone,

for the record, I ignored that „error“ and went on.

I was able to import the image file into the storage area with

sm0201:~/ova# qm importdisk 101 cbd17719-b318-4551-b0aa-54a122c59671 cephpool01
importing disk 'cbd17719-b318-4551-b0aa-54a122c59671' to VM 101 ...
transferred 0.0 B of 50.0 GiB (0.00%)
transferred 537.6 MiB of 50.0 GiB (1.05%)
transferred 1.1 GiB of 50.0 GiB (2.11%)
transferred 49.3 GiB of 50.0 GiB (98.67%)
transferred 49.9 GiB of 50.0 GiB (99.73%)
transferred 50.0 GiB of 50.0 GiB (100.00%)
transferred 50.0 GiB of 50.0 GiB (100.00%)
Successfully imported disk as 'unused0:cephpool01:vm-101-disk-0'
sm0201:~/ova#

I had to manually asign the disk within the vm settings. The wiki article describes that, but I didn’t read that up until now. I was impatient in the first place and tried to start.

So, then I got a „Boot from ...“ message in the console. But it sat there and was stuck.

Using GRML I checked it the data was there, and it was.

So I checked the settings of the vm again. I had to enable the boot order and switch from SeaBIOS to UEFI. The vm was installed with UEFI. That brought me a little further. I saw the grub screen and then the kernel booting. But it crashed with „Fatal glibc error: CPU does not support x86-64-v2“. Ok, one google search later I changed the emulated CPU from kvm64 to x86-64-v2. With that the vm booted.

After I logged in, I noticed that there is no network interface. I added one and I had to edit the NetworkManager profile in order to reflect the change of the device name from enp1s0 to ens18.

I thought there would be more information about the vm config in the ova file. Like bios/uefi, cpu type and network interface etc. It’s suprising to me that I had to configure that manually after importing the ova file.

And I am still curious about the "invalid or missing controller: , skipping“ thing.

Cheers,
Timo