[PVE-User] PVE 7.2 - Avago MegaRAID broken?

Eneko Lacunza elacunza at binovo.es
Thu May 19 18:50:26 CEST 2022

Hi Stoiko,

El 19/5/22 a las 18:31, Stoiko Ivanov escribió:

>> Today we installed PVE 7.1 (ISO) in a relatively old machine.
> any more details on what kind of machine this is
> (CPU generation, if it's an older HP/Dell/Supermicro server or
> consumerhardware)?

The system is in a customer site, but I'll try to gather detailed data
tomorrow. CPU is a Xeon E or E3, I can't recall exact model right now.
Server has Asus motherboard; this puts it in consumerserver or something
like that I guess :-)

> Kernel will print lots of messages like
>
> "DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 3"
> "DMAR: [DMA Read NO_PASID] Request device [02:00.0] fault ???? 4b311000
> [fault reason 0x06] PTE Readaccess is not set.
> could you please try (in that order, and until one the suggestions fixes
> the issue):
> * adding `iommu=pt` to the kernel cmdline
> * adding `intel_iommu=off` to the kernel cmdline
> we have updated the known-issues section of the release-notes to suggest
> this already after a few similar reports with older hardware/unusual
> setups in our community forum:
> https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#7.2-known-issues

Ok, I didn't notice those known issues, will check them next time. I
think I will be unable to try this shortly as system is not local, but
if I can will report back, thanks.

> see
> https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysboot_edit_kernel_cmdline
> for instruction on how to edit the cmdline.
>
>> This is worked-around now, but I'm starting to worry about latest 5.15
>> kernel in PVE... :-)
>>
> I think we have similar reports with each new kernel-series - mostly with
> older systems, which need to install a small workaround (usually module
> parameter or kernel cmdline switch).
> Our tests on many machines in our testlab (covering the past 10 years of
> hardware more or less well) all did not show any general issues - but
> it's sadly always a hit and miss.

Sure, there's way too much hardware out there, this wasn't intended to
be a complaint, not at least about your excelent work at Proxmox :) The
intent was to warn other users, but your Known issues in release notes
are good too.

It's the first time I notice this mix of issues with a new kernel
version in more than 10 year experience with Proxmox (or Linux on
servers), but maybe it's also that our maintained server base is expanding.

> Please let us know if the changes help

Thanks for your helpfull replies, will try to test your suggestions and
will reply back with the results.

Regards

Eneko Lacunza
Zuzendari teknikoa | Director técnico
Binovo IT Human Project

Tel. +34 943 569 206 |https://www.binovo.es
Astigarragako Bidea, 2 - 2º izda. Oficina 10-11, 20180 Oiartzun

https://www.youtube.com/user/CANALBINOVO
https://www.linkedin.com/company/37269706/