[PVE-User] VMware SD-WAN Virtual Edge Not Working

JR Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:24:53 CEST 2022

Hey Folks,

We are testing deployment for using VMware/Velo virtual edge appliance
on Prox, hypervisor Dell R630 specs:
40 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz (2 Sockets)
Linux 5.4.174-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.4.174-2 (Thu, 10 Mar 2022 15:58:44 +0100)
pve-manager/6.4-14/15e2bf61

VMware SD-WAN edge appliance version 4.3.1 latest GA release.

We can get the VM started OK and connected to orchestrator except the
VPN tunnels are not coming up. We are using 'host' processor type and
see all the required CPU Flags available to the VM. We are running a
bunch of these virtual edge vms on VMware ESXi hypervisors with no
issues, but looking to change over to using Proxmox.

The only error we get in orchestration when diagnosing the problem is
"Edge dataplane service failed" and there is no vpn traffic coming
from the VM so it's like something with the VM is not able to access
some resource needed to start VPN services. AES-NI, SSSE3, SSE4,
RDTSC, RDSEED, RDRAND instruction sets are all available to the VM.

Is anyone else successful deploying VMware SD-WAN appliances with
Proxmox/KVM or seeing the same issue I'm having? We're opening a
support case with VMware, but no word back from them yet.

Thanks.
JR