[PVE-User] Security Proxmox Backup Server

Jean-Laurent Ivars jl.ivars at ipgenius.fr
Sat Mar 26 18:31:09 CET 2022

Hello everyone,

To give you a bit of context I’m pretty comfortable with PVE that I use for years and enjoy so much for everything it can do, it’s simplicity while being so full of possibilities and it’s stability.
Until today I never had installed a PBS and now I’ve done it but I haven’t spent so much time on the configuration nor on learning how to use it yet, even though it seems very promising !

Having searched the perfect solution for backup my PVE clusters and VMs for years it seems it’s finally getting there and so now Proxmox is (finally) a real solution that miss absolutely nothing to be production ready, though I have a question : I’ve seen in the doc many times that it’s not a problem if the PBS is not fully trusted because it’s possible to activate encryption on the client side but what if it’s the client, VM or the PVE cluster that becomes untrustworthy ? Let’s say my cluster get hacked !
Is there a way it compromises the backups ?

Sorry if my question seems obvious but it would save me a lot of time because if that wasn’t the case (which wouldn’t make sense so I doubt it) it would be a no go for me, so I wouldn’t lose my time learning more about it, even though it seems a great deal with all these options and fonctions !

Thank you for having took the time to read me and don’t hesitate to send me some links ;)
Thank you so much in advance !

Best Regards,
Jeanlau