[PVE-User] Proxmox and ZFS on large JBOD ?

Daniel Plominski dpl at ass.de
Thu Jan 20 14:16:59 CET 2022

Hello Martin,

what is the exact use case?

If it is "only" about providing a robust ZFS based storage server for
(NFS, SMB, ISCSI), then I can only recommend TrueNAS CORE.

One of our servers with 128 GB RAM handles about 3 million snapshots
without problems (with a complex replication structure).

After about 10 years of ZFS experience, I find the ZFS implementation in
the FreeBSD kernel to be one of the most robust besides Solaris.

If you also want to virtualize on this machine, Proxmox itself or
TrueNAS Scale would of course still be a possibility.

For larger data server setups, however, I think the interaction between
the FreeBSD kernel and ZFS is better than ZFSonLinux.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

DANIEL PLOMINSKI
Leitung IT | Head of IT

Telefon 09265 808-151 | Mobil 0151 58026316 | dpl at ass.de
PGP Key: https://pgp.ass.de/dpl@ass.de.asc
PGP Fingerprint: 74DBC06BD9F63187C4DF8934C96585A89CFC10B3

		 Company Logo

			ASS-Einrichtungssysteme GmbH
			ASS-Adam-Stegner-Straße 19 | D-96342 Stockheim

			Geschäftsführer: Matthias Stegner, Michael Stegner, Ralph Müller
			Amtsgericht Coburg HRB 3395 | Ust-ID: DE218715721
Bottom_Line